Because I am bored...let's play a game. Okay, it's not really a game. But it's a way to keep both of us entertained, so that's what I'm calling it.
I have a book called "The Name Book" by Dorothy Astoria that I picked up from Family Christian Bookstore. It has the following info for each name:
Language/Cultural Origin
Inherent Meaning
Spiritual Connotation
Scripture
I really like that this book has the spiritual connotation associated with a name. A lot of names have such basic literal meanings. Like, Carter, which means "Driver of a Cart". But the spiritual meaning is "Privileged". Sounds much better, no?
If you would like to know the meaning behind your name, or your baby's name, leave a comment and I'll look it up for you. That's it! :)
I know you've done this for Addie already but since you're bored and I can't find the email you sent me with all the meanings I'll let you do it again. I remember last time I don't think they had Adelyn but something close? You can figure it out. :) & Can you also do Braxton, Kristin & Joshua?
ReplyDeleteAdelyn (Adeline, Adalina, Adella, Adelle, Adelynn)
ReplyDeleteOrigin: Old German
Inherent: Noble
Spiritual: Under God's Guidance
Scripture: Psalm 31:3
Braxton
Origin: Old English
Inherent: From Brock's Town
Spiritual: Faithful
Scripture: 1 Corinthians 7:20
Kristin
Origin: Scandinavian
Inherent: Follower of Christ
Spiritual: Anointed
Scripture: Psalm 84:9
Joshua
Origin: Hebrew
Inherent: God is my Salvation
Spiritual: Bringer of Truth
Scripture: James 1:25
Thanks! Josh is going to be so excited! (he was just talking about that book the other day. He's determined to find one & buy it!) :)
ReplyDeleteNo problem! :)
ReplyDeleteHmmm.... I think my name means Revelation of God... but I'm not sure which scripture goes with it? Also.. James? That is my husbands and hopefully one day little boy name!
ReplyDeleteTiffany
ReplyDeleteOrigin: English
Inherent: Divine Showing
Spiritual: Beloved
Scripture: 1 John 4:7
James
Origin: Hebrew
Inherent: Supplanter
Spiritual: Nurtured
Scripture: Psalm 23:4
I looked it up before but can't remember.. So if you could do Thomas for me I'd be happy :)
ReplyDeleteThomas
ReplyDeleteOrigin: Aramaic
Inherent Meaning: Twin
Spiritual Connotation: Divinely Preserved
Scripture: Proverbs 2:11
I'm not sure what my name means: Jennifer.
ReplyDeleteYou won't find DH's name in there though: Manian.
Jennifer
ReplyDeleteOrigin: Welsh
Inherent Meaning: Fair
Spiritual Connotation: Trusting
Scripture: Psalm 28:7
There are the closest I could find to Manian:
Manon
Origin: French
Inherent: Wished-For
Spiritual: Fulfilled
Scripture: Psalm 132:14
Manuel (Manni, Mannuel, Manny)
Origin: Spanish
Inherent: God With Us
Spiritual: Consecrated to God
Scripture: Isaiah 9:6