I had my 28 week appointment yesterday afternoon. I got there about 15 minutes early, and they called me in after I'd only sat down in the waiting room for a couple of minutes. I ended up being in and out by the time my actual appointment was supposed to start! So it was a quickie. Here are the stats:
Blood pressure: Still good. I've always had really great BP, and it's usually even on the lower end of normal (hence my near passing out episodes when I'm in medical situations - like at the NST). I think it was 102/68. Or maybe 112/68. I had a hard time peeking at the computer screen to read it. Lol.
Weight: WTF??? According to my scale at home, I had gained 5 pounds since last week. According to the doctor's scale (since I was in last week for a NST), I had gained 4 pounds. Either way, that's a ridiculous amount to gain in 1 short week. He isn't too worried at this point, but he does want to keep an eye on it so that I don't have a HUMONGO baby. My words, not his. I think he used a nicer term, like "large". So this mama-to-be has vowed to start eating more fruits and veggies and less desserts and soda. Starting...right after I finish this chocolate caramel marshmallow bar from Books-a-Million. And I'm going to make sure I attend the water exercise class at least once a week (maybe twice if we don't have other plans for those evenings) and take more walks with DH in the evenings. And prenatal yoga starts on September 17th!
Urine: There were no sugars in my urine, but there was protein in it. And apparently, there have been traces of it in my urine for the past few visits, but they didn't mention it, so there must have been enough this time that they needed to bring it up. Since my BP is still looking great, and I'm not very swollen (just a little in the fingers and feet, but it's not even visibly noticeable - I can just tell that my rings don't fit and that closed shoes are snug), he isn't concerned about pre-eclampsia at this time. We just need to keep an eye on it. I'm going to work a lot harder at drinking enough water.
Fundal height: Here we go. The icing on the cake. Wait, I shouldn't be thinking about cake. Anyway, at my last appointment, I was 24 weeks and measured 26 cm. I read online that it's okay to measure 2 weeks less or 2 weeks ahead. That's all within the normal range. Alright, great. Well, now I'm 28 weeks and measuring 31 cm. Eeeeeeek! I'm continuing to measure ahead, and this time I was 3 cm over, so out of the normal range. And no, before you ask, my EDD isn't wrong. I was charting and know the date of my LMP and my ovulation date without a shadow of a doubt. Again, the doctor wasn't too worried, but he did suggest making sure my diet is healthy and I'm getting some exercise. (Hence, my resolutions mentioned above).
Fetal heart rate: I never ask the number because it's always loud and strong. And Brayden kicked the Doppler this time (twice!) while the doctor was checking it. Hehe. I told you he was strong, Doc!
Fetal position: He isn't breech anymore! His head is down near my cervix and his little booty is up around my belly button. The doctor said they don't really worry about the baby's position until it gets closer to delivery, but I was happy to hear that he had turned. For the past couple of weeks, I'd been thinking that he was transverse because of what I'd been feeling when he moves. I had felt something hard and round on the left side (his head?), something large on the right side that liked to move around a lot (his bottom?), I was getting poked on the right side of my ribs (by a foot), and I was feeling little taps on my cervix (by baby fists?). I think he might have just turned this past week because of how active he has been. He was just trying to get into position! Good boy, Brayden. :)
Placenta: I asked the doctor if he is going to check the location of my placenta again, since at my U/S appointment at 18w5d, it was lying low and near my cervix. He said he'll check it again at 34 weeks, which means........another ultrasound!!!!!!! Woo hoo!!!!!!!! He seems pretty convinced that the issue usually resolves itself on it's own as the uterus grows, so I'm not worried. And I get to see Brayden again and he'll be a BIG BOY by then! They should be able to tell me approximately how much he weighs at that point, so maybe we can estimate a birth weight!
Bloodwork: My iron level from my bloodwork at the lab (when I had the glucose test) was 36.3, which is great, so I'm not anemic.
Vaccinations: I get a flu shot every year because I am in the high-risk category because I work with young children, so I asked about getting one this fall while I'm pregnant. He definitely recommended it. He said that their office provides them for all OB patients, so I won't have to go anywhere else to get one! They aren't available yet, but will be at one of my future appointments (probably sometime in October), so I'll be able to get it then.
Medications: I currently take Lexapro for anxiety and depression, and the doctor has mentioned weaning me off of the medication in the third trimester so that Brayden isn't born with withdrawal symptoms. I just found out that I can wait until 1 month before delivery before going off of it, which is wonderful. I've tried to go off the medication before (for 3 months while we were TTC), and I didn't do so well. I have been dreading going off of it during this pregnancy. At 34 weeks, I'm going to cut my dosage in half and will do that for 2 weeks (this helps with the withdrawal symptoms for me). Then at 36 weeks, I'll be off of it and will continue that way until delivery. The doctor said that it's fine to breastfeed while taking the medication, and I can go back on it as soon as I deliver. He said they'll even start me back on it in the hospital! I'm so relieved. It still takes 2 weeks to get back into your system and for you to feel the effects of it, so it's going to be a rough first couple of weeks at home with the new baby (which I've heard is the hardest part anyway). I'm going to have to make sure that the doctor explains that to DH so that he understands what I'm going through (because if I try to tell him that, he won't listen!). I'm at increased risk for post-partum depression and really want to make sure that I have the support I need during that transition time when I'm not taking the medication.
Upcoming appointments: I thought that after 28 weeks, I was going to have visits every 2 weeks until 36 weeks, and then I would go in weekly. That's what all of the informational paperwork from the office says. But the doctor told me he'd see me in 3 weeks (at 31 weeks) and then 3 weeks after that (at 34 weeks). So maybe after that, I'll see him 2 weeks later (at 36 weeks) and then do weekly visits? I have no idea. I scheduled my 31 and 34 week appointments.
9/10/09 @ 3:30 pm - 31 week appointment
10/1/09 at 4:00 & 4:30 pm - Ultrasound and 34 week appointment
That's all! Even though it was a quick appointment, we still covered a lot of info and I'm glad I know more about what's going on.
I never even knew he was breech. I'm glad he turned for you! It took Addie forever!!
ReplyDeleteAlot of this sounds just like one of my previous appointments, when I was 26 weeks or so my dr said she would start seeing me every 2 weeks after the next appointment so I went in for my next one and then they scheduled me for every 3 weeks for 2 appointments, then every 2 weeks. I think next week (36 wks) it turns into once a week? Drs can be so confusing sometimes-saying one thing and doing another!
Awesome news about the meds & the extra ultrasound!!:D
If you need company after Brayden is born..I will gladly come and hang out with you. I suffered from postpardum with both of my kids, especially the 2nd week until I started getting out and doing things again...so I totally know how awful it can be.
ReplyDelete