Wednesday, July 29, 2009

24 week appointment

I realized that I totally forgot to post about my 24 week prenatal appointment last week! (Yeah, the one I forgot about until 2 hours after I was supposed to be there and had to reschedule for the next day...that one.)

My appointment was on 7/22 and I was exactly 24 weeks. My blood pressure was great as always (110/72). They said my weight was fine...although their scale always has a higher number than the one at home! No problems when they checked my urine. Brayden's heartrate was strong as usual. The doctor measured my fundal height (height of the uterus) and said that it was fine. At the end of the appointment, I thought to ask him what the measurement had been. He said 26 cm. I was like, "Umm...is it usually supposed to correlate with how many weeks you are?" (thinking I should have been closer to 24 cm). He said yes, but that this was my first measurement and he would just keep checking to see the progression and if the growth is consistent. He wasn't worried at all. Meanwhile, I'm thinking, "I'm going to have a HUGE baby!!! Ahhhh!!!".

I did just find this website that talks about measuring ahead or behind: Baby Center
It says that you can be 2 cm under or over how many weeks you are, and that's still in the normal range, and you are only measuring big or small if you are over or under that window. Whew!

I told him about the cramping I've been having the past few weeks. He said to lay down and drink water and if it happens 6 times in an hour, to call their office. It definitely hasn't happened that often, so I think everything is fine. Starting at 20 weeks, it would happen just every once in awhile (maybe once a week). Then it was happening every few days. For the past week or so, it has been once a day. But I don't feel my uterus tightening. It feels like really strong menstrual cramps in my lower abdomen and lower back, like on the first day of AF. Also, they aren't short like I heard that contractions usually are (under a minute to a couple of minutes long). They last for 5-15 minutes straight and then go away.

The nurse gave me the lab slip and my orange drink and told me to schedule my 1 hour glucose tolerance test for sometime between now and my next visit at 28 weeks. I went ahead and scheduled it for 26 weeks, just to have my appointments spread out a little. FX that I pass!

No comments:

Post a Comment