I came across these articles on the Baby Gaga website. They are funny, week-by-week articles to read throughout your pregnancy. I haven't been keeping up with them, so I just went back to read the ones that I've missed. I had to comment on this one. See comments below after end of article.
-------------------------------------
Week 6:
There is a group of women out there that think they didn’t get morning sickness because they wouldn’t allow themselves to. Like, they think throwing up all day, every day is a state of mind.
“Oh, I just wouldn’t allow myself to throw up,” she says while rubbing her nonexistent belly. “So I didn’t.”
Any pregnant woman that comes across these types of women should turn the other way and run as fast as she can (which might just be lumbering gently away). Why? This woman has the “Miracle of Life Syndrome.”
Every little gas pain and tummy rumble is special. They feel like they’re “glowing” and just love every last bit of pregnancy, right down to the hemorrhoids.
You do not want to be friends with these women. They will brag about “easy” labors. Their babies will sleep through the night by the end of the first week.
Worst of all? She’ll be fitting into her “skinny jeans” by her six week postpartum checkup. Never trust a woman that can fit into her skinny jeans that quickly.
Find yourself someone with hyperemesis. She won’t ask if you “tried crackers.” She’ll be truthful about labor and will be your friend in sweatpants for that first year after the baby.Never underestimate the value of a friendship where you can go grocery shopping together in your pajamas.
--------------------------------------
I had to comment on this because of the fact that I've only thrown up once so far during this entire pregnancy, and it was at 14w5d. I want you all to know that I am NOT one of "these women" (referenced above). I did have severe nausea throughout the entire first trimester that lasted from morning until night, but by some miracle, I didn't throw up constantly. I count myself incredibly lucky, because the one time that I DID throw up, I thought I was going to die right there on the spot. I immediately felt so much sympathy for all of the women out there who have experience constant vomiting during their first trimester (or longer).
I've commented (and I'm not sure if it was on here, or to people I've talked to in person) that the only reason I didn't throw up some days was out of sheer will. I'm not some amazing Superwoman. But, the job that I have requires me to conduct home visits with families with young children on a daily basis. So, I am usually sitting on the living room floor with a mom and her baby/toddler/preschooler for about an hour an average of 2-3 times per day. I see nearly 30 different families. Do you know what this translates to? 30 different bathrooms. 30 different bathroom floors. 30 different toilets. At my own house, I'm not so great at keeping up with cleaning the toilets, so how do I know that these families will be any better? The sheer force of will that kept me from running to the bathroom to vomit during this visits? The was my complete refusal to check out the cleanliness of strangers' bathrooms. I was not about to run to somebody elses bathroom and hang my head in their toilet to empty out the contents of my stomach. I just couldn't let myself do it. But I'm not one of the "Miracle of Life Women" described above, that's for sure.
I guess I'm just stubborn like that.
And maybe, I might have thrown up a little in my mouth a couple of times.
And swallowed it.
No comments:
Post a Comment