Monday, October 5, 2009

34 Week Prenatal Appointment

I had my 34 weeks prenatal appointment on Thursday, 10/1. I had an u/s at 4:00 pm and then I saw the doctor at 4:30 pm. Everything is great! Here are the details:

Ultrasound

Placenta: It has moved it's way up in the uterus and won't be a problem for delivery! No more marginal placenta previa for me. Hooray!
Amniotic Fluid: Normal, not too much like we were concerned about! The normal range is 9-20 (I have no idea what the units of measure are). Mine was at a 12.
Size of Baby: Average! He weighed approximately 5 lb 9 oz and was in the 55th percentile. If I go to 40 weeks, the u/s tech guessed that he'd be about 8 1/2 pounds at birth (by gaining 1/2 pound each week for the next 6 weeks = 3 more pounds total). The doctor guessed that he'd be around 8 lbs. As long as he's not pushing 9 lbs, I'll be happy! :)
Gender: Okay, I'm a crazy Mommy, but I wanted them to double check that he was still a boy. Hehe. ;) You never know, they could have been wrong back when I was only 18 weeks pregnant! And I figured, at least we'd still have 6 weeks to change the nursery if needed! Lol. Well, he's still ALL boy. She showed us a pic and well, let's just say we were impressed. Ha ha.
Other info:
1) He has HAIR! Our little boy is going to be born with hair! We couldn't tell, but the tech has been doing this long enough that she knows what to look for. They were these white wavy lines and when she pushed on my belly, she got them to sway around in the fluid, like when you're underwater. She measured it and it's about 1/3 of an inch right now. Wow!
2) He is practicing breathing! Babies in the womb don't need to breathe with their lungs because they get all of their oxygen through the oxygenated blood delivered to their bodies through the umbilical cord. But towards the end, they start practicing breathing movements, the actual inhaling and exhaling with their lungs. He's getting ready!

Doctor's Appointment

Weight: +24 lbs
BP: 110/68
Urine: Good
Vaccinations: Got the regular flu shot. The H1N1 vaccine will be in soon, and the Dr. recommends that I get it as well.

We pretty much just chatted for a few minutes and he answered any questions that I had. He didn't need to do any measurements since I had just had the u/s. I asked him when he starts doing internal exams, and he said that they are uncomfortable for the patient and he doesn't really feel that they are necessary. He said that he doesn't start doing them routinely at a certain week like some doctors do. He said that as my due date approaches and if I'm curious about the progress, he'll do one, or if he deems it necessary for any other reason. Otherwise, I won't be getting checked any time soon. But I can definitely see curiosity getting the best of me by 37 or 38 weeks and requesting one! Ha ha.

Next appointment: 36 weeks - 10/14
After that: EVERY WEEK!!! I made appointments for 37 and 38 weeks, and he said we'd make the rest later.

It's getting close! :)

2 comments:

  1. :) I can't wait for Brayden to get here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He has hair?! That is awesome!! Thats the one thing I'm REALLY hoping for is hair at birth. Of course he can be bald and I'll be fine, but hair would be awesome!!

    ReplyDelete