Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Baby hiccups

Okay, I know I posted ages ago, thinking that I had felt baby hiccups. Forgive me for being an over-eager pregnant woman, as I was completely clueless. When I posted that, I don't think he was even developed enough to have hiccups. Since then, I've actually read in my pregnancy books that he's now practicing his sucking and swallowing and can have hiccups. I think I felt them, or at least noticed them, for the first time yesterday. It happened a few times, on and off throughout the day, and lasted a good 10 minutes each time.

Someone told me that it feels almost like a heartbeat, very strong and steady, but obviously you can't be feeling your baby's heartbeat. That's what I felt yesterday. And they were down looooooooow. Like near my cervix. Which makes sense, because the doctor told me that he's head down now.

If you thought hiccups in your throat were annoying, just wait until you have hiccups in your crotch region. It's insane.

Fun fact: I read somewhere that hiccups don't bother babies in utero (or newborns) the same way that they bother us! I can't remember why that is, but I found it interesting.

2 comments:

  1. I've read that somewhere before too but can't remember where! I love when Addie gets the hiccups, until they last 30 minutes and I'm tired of my whole stomach jumping with each hiccup. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, that's true! It doesn't bother them in the womb or out of the womb once they arrive either. It won't bother them until they're older. Carter gets them all the time now when he laughs...sucks in a bunch of air while going for the next round of giggles! And baby hiccups inside are like contractions and labor, there is no denying either one once it's for real!!!

    ReplyDelete