Thursday, August 27, 2009

A/C problems - Part 1

So, we got home from work last night and the A/C at our house was working as normal. Then we went to childbirth class and came back and...nothing. It conked out on us sometime in those 2 or 3 hours that we were gone.

It's the end of August.
In Florida.
And I'm almost 7 months pregnant.

Can you SEE how this is an emergency situation???

DH went to K-mart at 10 pm last night to go buy a box fan so we could prop it up next to our bed. It was pretty hard to fall asleep at first, but as the night wore on and the outside temperature dropped (you know, to like 74), it became less uncomfortable. It honestly wasn't AS bad as it could have been. If the A/C had broken in the morning and the house hadn't been cooled all day, it would have been a lot worse.

Here comes the irony.

DH just called to have our A/C serviced on Monday. We have our A/C programmed to not run very much during the day while we're at work to save on our electricity bill, but to come on around 4 pm so it starts cooling off the house by the time we get home. Lately, it hasn't been that cool when we get home and it still takes a couple of hours for it to get to the comfortable temp that we like. So, he called to have it checked out. They said that we needed a small part replaced or it would cause our blower to go out eventually, which would be a bigger repair. They wanted to charge us something insane, like $120 for this part. DH went online and found it for $18 and was going to do it himself.

It came in the mail yesterday morning. The Fed-Ex guy delivered it as I was pulling out of the driveway. I took it and put it in the backseat of my car because I was running late to work, rather than go back inside and leave it there. When I got home from work, I had too much to carry in, so I told DH it was in the backseat of the car with the rest of the mail if he wanted to go get it out. We only had about an hour at home to cook and eat dinner before we needed to leave for our childbirth class, so he didn't end up going out there to get it because he knew he wouldn't have time to install it.

You know the rest of the story. We left for class, and came home to a very warm house because the A/C was broken. Guess what broke? The blower. That they told us would break eventually if we didn't have that one part replaced. The part that was sitting in the backseat of my car that we received in the mail THAT MORNING. What are the odds??????? Apparently, pretty damn good if you're us.

So all night I was plagued with the "if onlys". If only I had brought it into the house that morning instead of leaving for work. Maybe DH would have had time to install it right after he got home from work, before we started cooking dinner. If only I had brought it into the house as soon as I got home from work when my hands were full. Again, DH sometimes gets on these kicks where he has to fix something RIGHT NOW and he might have just gone ahead and replaced the part. Instead, it breaks while we're gone for 2 hours, with the part we needed sitting right there in the back of the car.

I know it's not my fault. For all I know, if DH had decided to just let the guy charge us the ridiculous amount for the part and fix it himself, he might not have even scheduled our repair until later in the week, so it could have happened anyway. It's just the timing of it all that is driving me crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment