Friday, June 26, 2009

Pregnancy - a love/hate relationship

This post might offend some people. I'm sorry if it does. A lot of people will probably disagree with me, while a few might actually admit to feeling the same way. But this is my blog and it's my place to vent about how I feel, so that's what I'm going to do. That being said...

I'm sorry...but I'm just not one of those pregnant women who just LOVE being pregnant and think it's the most glorious thing ever. Yes, I'm thrilled to be bringing a new life into this world and I can't wait for Brayden to be here. I love planning the theme for his nursery, thinking about what he'll look like, and dreaming about holding him close and snuggling him. I love hearing his heartbeat, seeing u/s pics of him, and feeling him move. I get excited about all of the milestones that I reach during the pregnancy, because it's one step closer to my little man being here with us. I even think my growing belly is really cute and I love rubbing it and looking at it in the mirror, and knowing that he's inside of there. Those things are all amazing and wonderful and truly are a miracle. (The long fingernails and long healthy hair are definitely a nice bonus too.) I'm much more excited about actually having a baby in November than being pregnant, if that makes any sense. It's kind of like when you are engaged and you get so caught up in the thought of planning the wedding the entire time that you forget to look forward to actually being married.

But the way my body feels every single second of the day? I have to say...it totally sucks.

Nausea (by far, the worst thing EVER)
Vomiting
Lack of appetite because everything sounds revolting
Indigestion
Diarrhea
Gas
Cramping/spotting (which makes you absolutely terrified)
Oily skin/acne
Stretch marks
Decreased libido (poor DH)
Backaches
Sciatic nerve pain
Headaches
Stiff, sore hips
Tailbone pain (and literally trying not to scream every time you sit down)
Swollen fingers and feet (bye-bye wedding rings and cute shoes that don't fit anymore)
Feet so sore you think you'll never be able to walk again
Uncomfortable sleep (which leads to...)
Exhaustion
Feeling disgusting and thinking that you probably look that way too

I mean, seriously......does any of that sound like a picnic to you??? I'm not even sure if I've listed all of the symptoms I've been experiencing. That's the forgetful preggo brain for you! Oh yeah, add that one to the list. I've consistently been forgetting birthdays and holidays this entire pregnancy and sending out cards 2 weeks to a month late!

On a side note: I know that many people struggle with infertility and loss and wish more than anything to be able to get pregnant. I want to make it clear that I am so incredibly grateful and feel so blessed that I was able to get pregnant so quickly and haven't had any problems in that area. My heart and prayers go out to women who have experienced that. My intention is not to minimize that in any way by all of my complaining about pregnancy. I am just trying to honestly share my own experiences along this journey.

What's funny is that for those 4 months of TTC, I even remember thinking, "I just want to be pregnant so badly, I don't care if I have morning sickness the entire time!" Well, now I think that I probably totally jinxed myself with that line of thinking. Crap.

Sometimes it just feels like pregnancy is the unfortunate route you must go through to bring a baby into the world.

In the words of the Human Torch (from the Fantastic Four): Flame on.

8 comments:

  1. To add to your list:
    -constipation
    -hemorroids
    -leaky boobs
    -hip bones seperating

    You probably haven't experienced some of those yet...lol

    I totally understand where you're coming from though! I feel the same way. I love the fact that I'm going to have a daughter...I just don't want to be misreable as I do it. I told Josh "I'm done being pregnant. I need her out!!" I'm in sooo much pain/discomfort. I'm def not one of those women who "love" being pregnant. At first, yeah-its exciting...but I'm over the excitement...I just want my baby here. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay... I had a loss and I'm still not offended! Even though you know how devastated I am about the loss, I do find myself extremely grateful not to be feeling like crap anymore!! I agree it's a rough journey women have to go to in order to have children! I hope you start having less of the crummy moments and more of the good ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your feedback ladies! <3 ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not offended either! I enjoy reading your blog. I enjoy both the good and the bad. I would be the same way if I felt like you! Vent all you want!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi- this is my first time reading your blog, I found it through fertility friend. I battled infertility and finally got pg with my twin boys who are now almost 3 and we are expecting again, a little girl due Nov. 15th (right around the same due date as you!!) I have to say in my experience, even struggles to get pregnant doesn't make the morning sickness any more fun or glorious, LOL!! There are days that i feel so sick that its just gross! So no offense taken here. I think its important to have a way to vent or discuss honesty feelings, it doesn't take away from the blessings of being a mom to admit that its hard work growing humans, LOL!!! Best wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for reading and for the comment! I appreciate it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just checked out your progression of belly pics, you look great!

    And from someone who took 2 years to get pregnant, I am anything but offended by your post on how dreadful pregnancy can be. Heck, I agree with you! Im still waiting to be one of those glowing pregnancy women and I dont think it will happen! The only thing that gets me through is remembering its all for a good cause :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Shannon!

    My husband claims that I have the "glow", but I just feel awful! I'm so ready for my little guy to be here and to not be pregnant anymore, and I still have halfway to go!

    ReplyDelete