Wednesday, June 24, 2009

How Big is Baby? - Week 20

Week 20: Cantaloupe


Baby gulps down several ounces of amniotic fluid every day, both for nutrition and to practice swallowing and digesting. And, these days, those taste buds actually work! Studies show that after birth, babies respond best to tastes they've already had via amniotic fluid. Meaning, think about what you'd like your future child to eat as you prepare your own lunch.

Baby's digestive system is busy creating meconium (a tarry black substance made of swallowed amniotic fluid, digestive secretion and dead cells), which will fill the first diaper after birth. And, speaking of the diaper situation... baby's genitals are now fully formed!

Congrats! You're halfway there...and at one of the great milestones of pregnancy. Increased blood flow is making the pelvic area extra-sensitive, libido is resurging, and the weight gain has just barely begun.*

*Just barely begun? Seriously? I've already gained 10 pounds, and my doctor wanted me to keep it at 15-20! Ahhhhhhhhhh!

2 comments:

  1. I just hit 20 weeks today!! I have gained 5 lbs so far, but I had gained 20 before getting pg, so I really don't need to gain much. I was hoping to only gain 20 this time around,but I can get to that on a bad weekend ya know, LOL!!!!! But, its an exciting point of the pregnancy. Especially now that baby is moving more and Hubby can feel it too, that never gets old!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've gained 10 so far. But I've also gained 40 in the past year since my wedding, so I really need to keep the weight gain down! When did your DH start feeling your baby move? I feel mine all the time, but DH can't yet.

    ReplyDelete