Two pieces of good news!
1) I had my annual exam at the OBGYN last week and just got my test results. All normal!
Side note: I've had 2 bouts with precancerous cervical cells in the past and had to have a procedure to remove them done twice, so this is great news! Also, the Dr. tested for the virus that causes the precancerous cells, and that came back negative as well! That means I only have to go to my appointments yearly now, instead of more frequently like I have been, and the problem most likely won't come back! This is also important because every time I need to have the procedure done to remove the cells, they remove some of my cervix, which makes it weaker and less able to hold a pregnancy to full term. Praise God for this great news!
2) (Bear with me, it will take awhile before you see that this is good news). I stopped taking a medication that I've been on for the past year for anxiety back in November. I stopped taking it when I went off BCP because it's not 100% safe during pregnancy and I didn't know when we might conceive. My primary care physician said that it's okay to take during pregnancy, but there is still a small chance of complications (nothing too serious, but he said that the baby can be born with it in his system, which makes them overly irritable or lethargic). I decided that I really didn't want to take it so I could have the healthiest pregnancy possible. So my doctor wanted to take me off of it before we got pregnant to see how I did without it. Basically, if you do just fine without it, then it's better to not take it during pregnancy. But, if you aren't doing well without it, it's better for you to take care of yourself first in order to have a healthy pregnancy. Ever since 1 week off the meds, I've been seriously considering going back on it, but I've been trying to wait it out and see if it got better. It hasn't. My 3 month follow-up was scheduled for February, and finally this week, I've been so stressed out that I just said screw it, I'm calling the doctor and getting an appointment earlier. So I made my appointment for this coming Monday. Then I realized that I forgot to ask my OBGYN last week if the medication was safe during pregnancy. I figured he would have more info about that than just my primary care physician, so I left a message at his office this afternoon and just got a call back from them (I was stressing that they wouldn't call until Monday, and my appt. to get back on the meds is on Monday!). I talked to the nurse, and she assured me that the medication is fine during pregnancy and that I could go back on it if I needed to. She said that the doctor may talk to me about weaning me off of it during the 3rd trimester, but it was totally fine in the beginning. Thank God! Now I am feeling totally confident about my appointment on Monday. I wish I knew that back in November because I never would have gone off of it. I guess it's a good thing though, because now I know that I truly need to be on it and I feel better about my decision.
My DH is bipolar, so I know how hard it can be without meds. He has major anxiety sometimes. I am so glad you can go back on medication safely!
ReplyDeleteI am so happy also to hear that you are in the clear from your pap. My mother died at 42 from cervical cancer. She hadn't gone to get pap smears for years, and by the time they found it, she was already in Stage 4 cancer. I don't know how many times I've stressed to different friends to go get their yearly exam. I've even contemplated started a non-profit to increase awareness of the need for regular testing.