I had my 1 hour glucose tolerance test this morning. If you aren't familiar with this test, here is the basic idea. You are given a small bottle full of a sugary orange drink and then an hour after you finish it, your blood is drawn. It is to test for gestational diabetes. If you fail the test, you have to take a 3 hour glucose tolerance test. If you fail that, you are diagnosed with gestational diabetes and referred to a nutritionist. They will talk to you about changing your eating habits for the remainder of the pregnancy to help control weight gain and the size that the baby grows to.
A few months ago, I was dreading this test because I heard how disgusting the orange drink was. Then, I talked to more people and read some stuff online and others said that it wasn't that bad. That made me feel a little better, but I've still been dreading it. Now I know that I had every reason to be!
I scheduled my test for 8 am. It isn't required that you fast beforehand, but if you do eat, the nurse said it should be high protein and low carb. Rather than watch my diet all day long, I just decided to do it first thing in the morning before I had even eaten breakfast. I don't normally eat breakfast until after 8 am anyway.
Maybe I'm a wimp, or a huge baby, or whatever. You can say what you want. I don't care. But to me, that drink was AWFUL!!! I wanted to chug it down and get it over with, but I could only take a few sips at a time. I gagged 3 or 4 times in the 5 (okay, 10) minutes that it took me to finish it and nearly threw up, which would have been a complete waste and I would have had to do it all over again. I kept shuddering through the whole thing, every time I'd take a drink. Ugh.
I drove to the lab and waited for the rest of the hour to pass so I could have my blood drawn. About 30 minutes after finishing the drink. the sugar hit Brayden. I have NEVER seen anything like it. My belly was shaking uncontrollably for about 5 minutes because of how much he was moving around. I thought he was going to bust out of there, Alien-style. Surely, this cannot be healthy for my little 2 lb. baybee! Then, nothing. He has his first sugar crash and he must have passed out. My poor little guy. Around that time, I started to get really sleepy too. They called my name and I was in an out in less than 5 minutes. They took two vials of blood. Besides testing for GD, they are also re-checking my iron levels (which were fine at my 6 week lab visit). If I don't hear anything from the doctor's office by Friday, I'm going to call the nurse.
I came back home afterwards to eat some breakfast. I had a whole grain bagel with peanut butter and a couple of glasses of water. I don't feel so great though. My blood sugar is all out of whack. I just feel...off. Weak, tired, dizzy...just bad. I'm going to lay down for awhile. :(
I'm sorry it was so gross. I must admit, you had me giggling when you started writing about Brayden's reaction to the test. I can just see your belly going nuts!
ReplyDeleteI do mine next weekend. The drs told me to do it after 27 wks, but before 28. I am not looking forward to it either. But I'll be glad to have it done and over with!
ReplyDeleteAw. :(
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry it was so horrible for you!
It was pretty bad my first time too, but the drink was warm. (ick!)
Did you drink yours warm or cold?
This time, when it was cold, it was much more manageable and I was able to gulp it down in just a couple drinks. Still not fun though!
Kristin - I drank it cold, but it still took me forever because I kept gagging. I've always been a picky eater, so I think I'm just more sensitive to tastes of food/drink.
ReplyDeleteSamantha - I tagged you! See my blog for details.
ReplyDelete