I had my first prenatal appointment this morning! It was just with an OB nurse, so nothing too incredibly exciting. I really like the nurses at my doctor's office though. They are very sweet, answer all of your questions (no matter how trivial they seem), and really listen to you if you think you have a problem and are very proactive about your prenatal care! It's wonderful.
She took a complete medical history, gave me a packet of information and went over all of the details in the handouts (rather than just handing them to me and telling me to read them over), answered all of my questions, and gave me a lab slip to get bloodwork done. It took about an hour.
Then I headed to the lab, just around the corner from my doctor's office, thinking I should just go ahead and get it out of the way (even though I had until my next appointment to get it done). Big mistake. I should have called and made an appointment. And I will certainly do that next time. I waited in the lobby for 2.5 hours. There were like 50 people in the waiting room! I couldn't believe how packed it was! I was there from 10 am until 12:30. I was absolutely starving! Thank God I had a banana in my bag leftover from breakfast that morning, or I would have totally passed out when they drew the 4 vials of blood. I hightailed it out of there and over to Taco Bell right afterwards (healthy, I know).
The results will be sent back to my doctor's office and they'll call me with the info. I'm hoping they have them on file by Wednesday when I go in for my 2nd ultrasound. FX that we see the heartbeat!!!! If not, they will schedule another u/s for the same day at my first prenatal exam.
My first prenatal exam with the doctor is on April 16th. I'll be 10w1d by then. They normally schedule the first exam around 11-12 weeks so they have a better chance of hearing the heartbeat on the Doppler, but I really wanted to have it done before my family comes into town that weekend. I don't know why. Just for peace of mind I guess. Or so that I'm able to tell them more about the pregnancy and that we've heard the heartbeat already. They said that they might not be able to hear it then, but that the doctor would try. Someone just told me that they only have a 50/50 chance at 10 weeks. So now I'm second guessing it, thinking I should have just scheduled the appointment for when they wanted to. I will be freaking out if we don't hear the heartbeat at that appointment. What should I do?
I think since you're pretty thin you'll have a high chance of hearing the h/b at your appointment. Oh and you mentioned taco bell-I've been craving taco bueno all day! :(
ReplyDeleteOh man, I DONT miss all the blood draws being preggo. I had 9 vials the first time for all my prenatal blood work. I nearly passed out.
ReplyDeleteI didnt hear the HB with the Doppler until I was 14 weeks. I went at 10 weeks, but the nurse said she probably wouldnt get it, so she wasnt going to try.
I wouldnt worry too much. I didnt feel pregnant until my 1st u/s at 19 weeks. Then I realized there really was a baby in there.