Monday, February 23, 2009

Post-BCP skin

::Prepare for a mini-rant::

WTF is up with post-BCP skin? I know that most BCPs claim to clear up your skin. What they fail to mention is that when you stop taking them, your skin becomes worse than it ever was before.

Before BCP, I didn't really have bad skin. I've been on BCP for over 8 years - since I was 17 1/2 (June 2000 - November 2008). Prior to this, I had an oily T-zone like many teenage girls, with the occasional breakout in that area. Nothing too crazy. While I was on BCP, I didn't suddenly have amazingly clear skin. I didn't really notice much difference. I had the same oily T-zone and the occasional breakout. Fair enough.

But when I stopped taking BCP in November so we could start TTC...HOLY CRAP! My forehead is a freaking oil slick! Seriously, I wash my face and an hour later, it's greasy again. And don't get me started on all of the red bumps that have plastered themselves across my forehead, on my temples, and in between my eyebrows. And the occasional volcano of a zit on my chin. I'm not even going to a post a picture because of how hideous it is. I've never, I repeat, never, had acne this bad in my entire life. Oh the joys of TTC...

After 3 months of dealing with this, I finally went to the dermatologist earlier this month. I was going in for my annual mole check (side note - skin cancer is nothing to mess with! Get yourself checked yearly!), and asked her what I could do about the breakouts on my face as well. She diagnosed me with having rosacea. I thought that was when you have really red facial skin. Apparently, it is also a form of adult acne. She gave me a couple of prescriptions that are safe to continue using once I get pregnant. Inova 4/1 wipes (benzoyl peroxide/salicylic acid) that I use in the AM and PM and Finacea gel as a spot treatment. They tend to dry out the skin, so the nurse told me I could use Cetaphil facial wash and moisturizer because they are very gentle.

I used the samples that she gave me for about a week and immediately saw an improvement. A lot of the redness started to fade away and everything was starting to clear up. My skin was very dry and tight feeling though. The first couple of days, it kind of burned after using the medications, but that went away as I got used to it. Then I ran out of the samples, and the oilyness and red bumps have returned with a vengeance. I searched all over the house this weekend and couldn't find the original prescriptions that I hadn't filled yet, so I had to leave a message at the doctor's office to ask them to call them into the pharmacy for me. They called me back to let me know they had, and I'm going to pick them up tonight. So I should be getting some relief from the insanity that is my face in a few days.

If you are struggling with oily skin and breakouts after coming off of BCP, run, don't walk, to your nearest dermatologist's office and get a prescription! I highly recommend it!

::Rant over::

No comments:

Post a Comment